V. 181 WOMEN IN DISTRESS HELPLINE
The Department of Women and Child Development, Government of NCT of Delhi has been made the nodal department for the overall management and monitoring of 181 Women in Distress Helpline with effect from 1 July 2014.
- To facilitate immediate assistance to women in distress through relevant service providers.
- Bringing all service providers within the reach of women in need.
- Tele counsel and support to women in distress round the clock.
- Follow up of cases till logical conclusion.
- Callers in ‘181’ helpline receive calls from women in distress.
- Callers refer the case to service providers.
- Serious cases are referred to the Floor Supervisor.
- Floor Supervisor follows up the case with service providers.
- Difficult cases are followed up by the Consultant of the helpline having legal expertise.
Types of Calls being handled
The 181 Helpline works round the clock in three shifts of 8 hrs each. The staff members mainly comprise of female members as Caller, Senior Caller, Floor Supervisor and Consultant.
- Attempt to rape
- Sexual abuse
- Obscene call
- Threat to life
- Dangerous attack
- Life threatening attack by family members
- Illegal confinement
- Confinement by parents and family members
- Violence by Khap/Biradari Panchayat
- Mental harassment by family
- Acid attack
- Domestic violence
- Extra marital/bigamous relationship
Calls received on ‘181’ Helpline are forwarded to the following service providing department/agencies for immediate and effective assistance:-
- Delhi Police
- Delhi Commission for Women
- Delhi Legal Services Authority
- Major Hospitals of Delhi Govt./CATs
- Labour Department
- 1096 Anti stalking helpline
- Protection Officers, DWCD