IV. AWAAZ UTHAO CAMPAIGN
‘Awaaz Uthao’ project launched in Delhi on 8th March 2011 on the occasion of International Women’s Day, addresses the safety concerns of Women and Girls in the city. The initiative involves formation of women and youth collectives (groups) at the grassroots level, to address the issues of women safety at public places and support women in distress including situations of sexual harassment / assault and rape.
The overall objective of this project is to make Delhi safer for women by enhancing capacities of communities and its agencies to prevent and respond to violence against women. It also aims to empower women and girls to exercise their basic human right to enjoy public spaces and freedom of mobility. This is purely a community led campaign with a focus on behavioral and attitudinal change.
Samajik Suvidha Sangam monitors the functioning of NGOs. ‘Awaaz Uthao’ project is being implemented through selected Gender Resource Centres / partner NGOs spread over eleven districts of Delhi under the administrative control of Samajik Suvidha Sangam / Mission Convergence. There are 48 NGOs implementing Awaz Uthao project.
Role of Implementing Partners
Catchment area of a Gender Resource Centre (around 20,000 families) is divided into four clusters. One women’s collective is formed in each cluster covering approx. 5000 families. One Stakeholder Committee is formed on 4 Collectives by each GRC.
- Each Stakeholder Committee consists of members from various administrative units like Police, Law, Transportation, MCD, DDA, Aanganwadi Workers etc.
- Each Women's collective consists of 20 community members(4 men, 4 women, 2 girls & 4 boys and 4 local NGO workers who are not in GRC network)
Activities of “AWAZ UTHAO” Program
- Awareness generation at the local community level by organizing awareness generation programmes like public meetings, wall magazines, safety walks / rallies etc.
- Conducting safety audits with community members and relevant authorities to identify key security issues pertaining to women safety in the community.
- Involving local women, men and youth in the Collectives which, besides other awareness generation activities, conduct safety audits to identify key security issues pertaining to women in the community.
- To sensitize people on gender issues, having regular interaction with local agencies and government offices and working towards bringing out behavioral changes favorable towards women.
- Liaising with Local Police Stations as well as other participating agencies like Delhi Transport Corporation, Transport, Education, PWD, and MCD etc., to address women safety issues.
Department of Women and Child Development,
Government of N.C.T. of Delhi,
1-A Pandit Ravi Shankar Shukla Lane,
Kasturba Gandhi Marg, New Delhi – 110001.
Contact number: 23070378
Mission Convergence / Samajik Suvidha Sangam,
Government of N.C.T. of Delhi,
B Wing, First Floor, Vikas Bhawan-II,
Bela Road, Civil Lines, Delhi-54.
Mission Director 011-23813181
Deputy Director 011-23813179
For more details, official website of Samajik Suvidha Sangam/
Mission Convergence can be accessed at